8.27.2018

Music on the high ground

I say that I'm bored by the music bands I play with since I'm back in Savoy last January. This time I've found a crazy challenge: to play with a very good amateur symphonic orchestra in only 2 practices, playing an instrument I don't know!


5 valves, in F, one octave lower than a string bass, one and a half octave lower than the lowest note I've ever played, merely no one fingering like a 3 valve instrument, it's a whole new instrument: 7 years I'm playing different shape of "tubas" in concert bands and small orchestras, but these were only very big trumpets!
Despite my pretty good level playing tuba in concert bands and sousa funk I can't tell I'm a real tuba player, now that I've been confronted to this beast I do understand that this is a different world.
So I've learn a new instrument, like if I've always been playing didjeridoo, that's not nice when you have only 2 practices with a good orchestra... and you pass all the first one to understand that you don't know how to play this.


I've rarely been such in difficulties, I think I never re-painted my score like this even when I was conducing a band, I didn't understood all the fingering, I'm still not sure about some tessituras, but what the hell I've reached a very big challenge, my head has been boiling all the Thursday, that has been so captivating, what a new experience!

The concert was with the COGE playing for the Festi'Val d'Arly, we are not use to appreciate Parisians in Savoy but the deserve it!
A big thanks to all of them, and to Frank, the one who allowed me to make something with this big tuba.
Next step... A 7 valves tuba, or an ophicleide?

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search into the blog