2.12.2012

Project 52 - 06/52: Olympic Opinel


Holly Sh...ugar, one week for a project is very very not enough! This is the second time (on 6 projects) I can't show the completed project... I'm hungry as I worked on it since last week!
Okay, so, let's see the project. From 08th to 23th of February were the Winter Olympic Games in Albertville… Sure that 20 years are not an all-new news but I'm from Savoya so it's still a big souvenir.


Olympics Games in Albertville, so in Savoya and when I say Savoya you think... cheeses, yes, and... Opinel!


Opinel is said to be in the permanent collection of the MoMA in New-York.
And the fundator birth was in 1872, 140 years ago, dubble-anniversary! So here is an indirect commemoration for 1992' Winter Olympics I ''saw'' (stop dreaming the shows were not free for the local inhabitants, but I was in my Magic mascott suite to see the Olympic fire coming from Athena) with a pocket knife:


I don't write all the Opinel's story but it's logical to have one in your pocket when you're a farmer from the French Alps. More of all a #8, which one is too big for urban trouses. The firm have launched an ''tapered'' range to compete with the finest Laguiole and Thiers. I don't know if it's a commercial success but I wanted to play between traditional appearance and a dating draw. A both traditional and contemporany tapered:


Some improvements were planned but have not been modelled, like a blade lock, and then I thought to name this project Wintney in tribute to Whitney Houston (and a wordplay with winter) but I'm not sure this would be a good idea so I let the name Olympic Opinel.


A few years ago I have been in competition to develop a kitchen range for the cutlery. I have not been chosen but the opportunity may represent itself one day. As for Opinel, for the Opinel museum or the Olympics Museum why not?


And I can't resist... only for french speakers, sorry:

.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Search into the blog